About The Role
The Scottish Greens Parliamentary Group are looking for a full-time Campaigns and Research
Officer (Climate) to join their team.
Location: Scottish Parliament, Edinburgh
Salary: £29,962 – £35,181
Hours: 37 hours per week; applications for part-time or job shares are welcome.
Reporting to: Head of team
The Scottish Greens returned a record number of MSPs to Holyrood in the May election, and have entered into an historic co-operation agreement with the Scottish Government that will see many of our manifesto commitments delivered, helping Scotland step up and take the action needed to tackle the climate emergency. This role sits with the Green Parliamentary Group’s central team, working across the Group to secure a green economic recovery and forward the wellbeing economy agenda.
You will act as a central point of expertise on the Scotland’s response to the climate emergency, advising MSPs and staff, maintaining stakeholder relationships, developing and delivering parliamentary campaigns, researching priority topics, and identifying opportunities for the Group to deliver on its mission. This is an exciting and challenging role that will suit a dynamic individual with experience in the climate sector and an appetite to deliver impact. While the focus of the role is on climate issues, you will be flexible, working across the Group’s priorities as required.
Duties and responsibilities
- Monitor developments in climate policy and maintain relationships with stakeholders
- Maintain relationships with stakeholders, including Scottish Green Party staff and bodies
- Identify opportunities within Parliament to further the Group’s climate agenda
- Prepare briefings and short reports to support campaigns and parliamentary activity
- Support communications staff with analysis and policy advice
- Develop and deliver national campaigns, working with the lead MSP(s) and the communications team
- Produce campaigns and communications copy
- Advise on parliamentary strategy, with a focus on key opportunities to forward our climate agenda, including the Scottish Budget and relevant legislation
- Advise on and contribute to MSP speeches and questions
- Work closely with the MSP group, particularly the spokesperson on the climate emergency and his staff, to coordinate and ensure value is added
- Work with the head of team, MSPs and Group staff to contribute to Strategy development and delivery
- Support policy development and advice across the Group
- Other reasonable and appropriate duties as required
- A good understanding of the climate policy landscape in Scotland, the UK and globally
- Understanding of the Scottish political landscape and an interest in politics
- A quick learner with the ability to multitask and work within tight timescales
- A proactive problem solver with the motivation and resilience to adapt and deal with challenges
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to identify and investigate trends while interpreting data
- Creative flair and expertise to produce accurate and influential work
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- A commitment to Green values and political aspirations
- A good understanding of the Scottish Parliament and parliamentary process